We are excited to announce new green initiatives happening at Balboa! However, we need your help to green Balboa and other schools in the district. The Green Schools for All resolution is an initiative to increase grass and trees on school play yards and reduce concrete and other features that cause a heat island on those playgrounds. For more info see the official resolution here or below.
How can you support the Green Schools for All Resolution?
- Speaking in Person: The Board of Education will be considering this resolution at its meeting on Tuesday, September 27th that begins at 1:00 PM. The Green Schools for All resolution will be heard at 2pm (time certain)
- Meeting Details: Tuesday, September 27th
- Speaker Time: 2pm
- Link to sign up to speak: https://boardmeeting.lausd.net/speakers
- link opens Monday, 9/26 @ 1pm - make sure you sign up to speak for item #9. *Public comment is limited to 3 minutes per person.
- Speaking Virtually: Link to sign up to speak: https://boardmeeting.lausd.net/speakers
- link opens Monday, 9/26 @ 1pm - make sure you sign up to speak for item #9 and include your phone number!
- Writing a Letter of Support: You can email all Board Members and the Superintendent at: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. If it is helpful, please reference the language below as a template:
Hello Members of the Los Angeles Unified Board of Education,
On behalf of [name of organization], I would like to communicate our support and endorsement for Board President Kelly Gonez’s resolution, “Green Schools for All: Equitable Funding and Expansion of Green Spaces Across District Campuses” (Res-002-22/23). If approved, this resolution will expand the District's greening programs by calling on the District to achieve a districtwide minimum standard for green spaces on all campuses by 2032. This is particularly important to [name of organization]because [insert reasons relevant to organization]. We hope you will stand us in support of Ms. Gonez's resolution and vote to pass this important resolution at the upcoming September 27th meeting.
[Name of Organization]”